Re: [mail-vet-discuss] Discussion of auth-header draft (fwd)

2008-10-10 12:16:40
Alexey Melnikov wrote:

SM wrote:

At 02:38 10-10-2008, Alexey Melnikov wrote:

I am still trying to get my head around this, but I am thinking that
defining a new ESMTP capability for "I provide authentication services
and strip bogus Authentication-Results header fields" would be a half
hour job, so why not do that?

See
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kucherawy-sender-auth-esmtp-01.txt

Yes, saw that.

I was under impression is that if an MTA implements SMTP AUTH and
strips bogus Authentication-Results header fields, then it doesn't
need to implement the whole draft-kucherawy-sender-auth-esmtp-01.txt.

Or rather "one wouldn't necessarily want to implement the whole
draft-kucherawy-sender-auth-esmtp-01.txt".

But if the intention is that draft-kucherawy-sender-auth-esmtp-01 is the
mechanism for discovery, then the auth-header draft needs to be explicit
about that in the Security considerations section.