mhonarc-users

Re: Using mhonarc as a news archiver

2000-04-15 01:44:39
On April 11, 2000 at 12:50, Harry Putnam wrote:

Couldn't use an NNTP Perl module to suck posts from an NNTP server
and pipe the data to procmail?

Probably, but wasn't that up on what is available, trying "suck"
currently. It seems to be very slow compared to Emacs/gnus downloading
messages. I'll check out cspan.  Are there modules that connect to
nntp server and put the data on stdout?  Especially with some nifty
controls on what gets downloaded would be nice.

The NNTP modules on CPAN can be used to dump data to stdout by writing
a simple program.  Do not know what they are capable of off-hand.
Download them and RTFM.  I'm guessing you will have to some programming
get the desired funtionality you want.

It isn't clear to me if procmail is capable of handling a raw nntp
message without somekind of conversion to one or another mail format.

NNTP messages follow the same syntactical rules of mail messages
(RFC 822).
Not sure what you mean by syntactical but they lack the leading 'From
' line and space at the end that mbox messages have.

You are confusing storage format with message format.  The "From ..."
line is a message separator in UUCP style mailboxes, and is NOT part
of the actual message.  I believe INN servers store messages in a
format similiar to MH: each post in a separate file in a directory.
MHonArc can handle either format.

Somewhere I got the idea that the hallmark 'From ' line and space at
the end that are the earmarks of unix-message format, were required
for procmail to work.

Doubt it.  RTFM to make sure.