mhonarc-users

Re: Really big subject/author pages?

2000-11-25 07:37:09
On November 16, 2000 at 17:31, Christopher Lindsey wrote:

I have a bunch of archives that get updated via this command:

   mhonarc -nolock -nomodtime -add -umask -rcfile rc -outdir [outputdirectory
]

This is piped into the archive with each incoming message via procmail
(which does global locking of its own).

Sometimes on unusally high traffic lists the author.html and subject.html
files aren't erased -- they're appended to.  Eventually the file becomes
too large (20+ MB) to be useable.

This is MHonArc 2.4.6 on Perl 5.00503, although I've been seeing it
at least since 2.3.2.  There was a time when it didn't happen, though.

This type of problem has been reported before.

I'm guessing the problem has to do with the index pages getting
corrupted and important comment declarations are getting lost.
Unlike thread index pages, main index pages are edited and not
overwritten each time.  This is for historical reasons inorder to
support the old HEADER and FOOTER resources.

I do not know why the files get corrupted, but to fix, just remove
author.html and subject.html and they will be created from scratch.
Are there any "tmp.*" files in your archive directories?