mhonarc-users

Re: Idea for the future

2000-12-02 03:27:50
On Fri, 01 Dec 2000 19:55:19 +0000
Gerry Hickman <gerry1(_at_)dircon(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> wrote:

Hi Earl,
* simplicity > > * simplicity

Uh? I'd say it's the other way round.

The concept of "simplicity" will vary depending on your point of
view.  For example, MHonArc as it is today is simplier than a
dynamic system sense no other software tools (excluding Perl) is
required.

Yes, a good point and I imagine it would be tricky to support all
the database variants across a range of platforms.

DBI is a pretty good absrtaction layer for this sort of thing.  Not
great as far as XML is concerned, but fairly transparent for the
rest.

A dynamic system requires the installation of a database, which
from my observations from many users, prefer not too muck with.

I was assuming most most people running web servers these days
would also be running a database, but I guess it's hard to tell
without a user poll or something.

I'd warrant that there are more messages being archived by bobbyest
on (comparitively) tiny systems than there are under those running
SQL databases.

--
J C Lawrence                                       claw(_at_)kanga(_dot_)nu
---------(*)                        : http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/