mhonarc-users

Re: Idea for the future

2000-12-02 03:22:01
On Thu, 30 Nov 2000 19:41:04 +0000
Gerry Hickman <gerry1(_at_)dircon(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> wrote:

I currently use a single CSS file to format all six of my MHonArc
archives. This means I can change the layout of thousands of pages
by changing a few lines in a text file. None of the HTML needs to
be changed or uploaded to the server. The page just renders with
the new settings next time the user visits the archive or hits
"refresh".

I achieve a not entirely dissimilar end through a rather different
route.  I have MHonArc generate PHP4 files which consist only on
variable assigments to the various bits of messges and the like that
MHonArc has extracted.  Said PHP4 file, when executed under PHP,
renders into HTML via PHPLib tempates.  Change the templates and all
the messages change.  Change the surrounding PHP code, and the
functionality shown on the archive pages changes.

I did this originally yo support the ability to reply to archived
messages via the web:

  http://www.kanga.nu/archives/IRead-L/2000Q4/msg00000.php

Configs:

  ftp://ftp.kanga.nu/pub/Kanga.Nu/WebArchives/

A longer term idea is to use the variable assignments as sources
foir SQL insertions rather than PHP.  Then a slight variation on the
current PHP code would instead extract the message data from the DB
rather than the flatfile variable assignments.  From there moving to
tru dynamic indicies etc becomes almost reasonable.

--
J C Lawrence                                       claw(_at_)kanga(_dot_)nu
---------(*)                        : http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/