Re: changing the defaults for forw and repl

1998-05-24 12:03:30
On 19 May 1998 at 0:52, Richard Coleman
<coleman(_at_)math(_dot_)gatech(_dot_)edu> wrote:
For the next version of nmh, I am contemplating about
changing `forw' and `repl', so that the flag `-format'
is "on" by default.

Richard, I love the work you're doing with nmh.  But, IMO, this change
would be a pain.  It'd be a small convenience to the people who want
-format "95% of the time"... why not just let them add it once to their
MH profile files?  It'd be a pain to people who don't want it, because:

  o People who use both MH and nmh on different hosts (via NFS or
    whatever) could be forced to maintain different MH profiles.
  o MH is used by more than exmh, of course.  People write scripts,
    make links, do other customization that depends on the defaults.
  o Please don't forget xmh.  This change would break xmh too.

Some changes are needed because of MH brain damage, bugs, or evolution.
IMO, this one isn't.  I hope you leave things as they are.  Thanks.

Jerry
--
Jerry Peek, jpeek(_at_)jpeek(_dot_)com, http://www.jpeek.com/~jpeek/