Re: [Nmh-workers] urls from mhpath, and message store abstraction layers.

2012-02-07 12:00:28
On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 12:51 PM, Joel Uckelman wrote:

If/when IMAP support is added in, mhpath will return
imap URLs.  If one is using the existing classic storage
model, then local pathnames are returned.

IMAP URLs aren't paths, at least not in the sense I take 'path' to have
in 'mhpath'. Maybe we could add 'mhurl' to produce URLs (and file: URLs
for local storage!) and leave mhpath producing paths?

Tomato, tomahto.

"Path" can have different meanings depending on your context,
but if you want to be pedantic, maybe have a new program called
"mhloc" to represent the location of an nmh resource.  mhpath
can then just be mhloc, but with a pre-configured setting that
if the resource is to a local file, it provides a local pathname
instead of a file: URL.

Regardless, mhpath should not barf if the resource happens to
be a non-local pathname.  It will still return a URL for such
resources.

--ewh