Re: [Nmh-workers] question about encoded recipient names

2012-06-09 21:47:01

ken wrote:
is mh transparent to encoded receipient names?  i.e., if i receive a
mail message containing a recipient name such as:

  =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rickard_Ekl=F6f?= <rickard.eklof@example.com>
or
  =?big5?B?TWFycyBDaGFuZyixabnFpOUp?= <Mars.Chang@example.com>

can i assume that string hasn't been munged in any way by mh, and that
if i simply reply, then recipients of the new message will see that
name correctly rendered?  (assuming they're not running mh ;-)
i.e., i'm hoping this is strictly a presentation issue in mh, and not
something deeper.

Those RFC 2407 encodings are designed to be RFC 822 "atoms" and as
a result the handling of them in old decrepit mailers like mh should
just work :-); in terms of the header parser routines they should
handle them fine.  That's always been my experience.

your ideas intrigue me, and i'd like to subscribe to your newsletter!

also, is there a simple way to manually render these encodings, in
order to see what they really look like?

I guess you've had your own custom scan format and mhl format forever?
The ones shipped with newer versions of nmh can do it for you automatically;
check out the "decode" mh-format function and the same option for mhl.

If you just want to decode one header, try:

$(libdir)/ap -format '%(decode(friendly{text}))' '<To/From header>'

you're absolutely right that i've been tweaking the same forms for
probably 20 years now, and totally missed this modernization.  i
assumed this was all part of the "gotta finally get this mime stuff
happening" push that's hoped-for-soon.  silly me.

however:  that being said, neither your one-liner above, nor a
"scan -form <nmh-etc-dir>/scan.default" of the messages in question
does the right thing.  clearly they should, so clearly now the problem
is on my end.

thanks!

paul