Re: [Nmh-workers] question about encoded recipient names

2012-06-10 09:35:03

ken wrote:
Those RFC 2407 encodings are designed to be RFC 822 "atoms" and as
a result the handling of them in old decrepit mailers like mh should
just work :-); in terms of the header parser routines they should
handle them fine.  That's always been my experience.

your ideas intrigue me, and i'd like to subscribe to your newsletter!

Heh, sorry for getting too technical ... the short answer is "those
things are designed to work with any mailer, and as far as I've seen
nmh has no problems with them".

heh.  no, not too technical at all.  my comment was more of an attempt at
a wry "huh, you say it simply works, and always has?  tell me more!" :-)

you're absolutely right that i've been tweaking the same forms for
probably 20 years now, and totally missed this modernization.  i
assumed this was all part of the "gotta finally get this mime stuff
happening" push that's hoped-for-soon.  silly me.

I was curious, so I went back and looked ... while MH-6.8.5 couldn't
decode RFC 2047-encoded headers, that code was added by Richard
Coleman .... in 1998.  So every release of nmh since 1999 has had
support for that :-)

yeah, "git blame" told me the same story last night, while i was diagnosing
my MM_CHARSET issue.  i guess i just thought mh was mime-unaware in so
many aspects that i shouldn't expect that to work.  it wouldn't have
mattered, though, since i only finally got the rest of my working
environment -- locales, terminal programs, editor configuration -- to
be fully utf8 aware during the past few months.  yeah, so, i'm a
little slow.

i noticed that the provided mhl.* and scan.* and repl*comps aren't
uniform in their use of "decode" for address fields.  for instance, To
and Cc headers don't ever use it, and From and Reply-to are
inconsistent as well.  is there any reason not to simply use it
everywhere?

however:  that being said, neither your one-liner above, nor a
"scan -form <nmh-etc-dir>/scan.default" of the messages in question
does the right thing.  clearly they should, so clearly now the problem
is on my end.

I see that you figured out it was MM_CHARSET, which leads me to ask
another question.  I don't actually use MM_CHARSET myself; if it's not
set then nmh simply falls back to using your locale setting (assuming
you have support for the nl_langinfo() function).  Why do people use
MM_CHARSET instead of just their locale setting?

as alexander said, i think i do it because the man page says to.

paul