Re: [Nmh-workers] question about encoded recipient names

2012-06-09 23:11:34
On Sat, 09 Jun 2012 23:40:03 -0400, Ken Hornstein said:
I was curious, so I went back and looked ... while MH-6.8.5 couldn't
decode RFC 2047-encoded headers, that code was added by Richard
Coleman .... in 1998.  So every release of nmh since 1999 has had
support for that :-)

however:  that being said, neither your one-liner above, nor a
"scan -form <nmh-etc-dir>/scan.default" of the messages in question
does the right thing.  clearly they should, so clearly now the problem
is on my end.

I see that you figured out it was MM_CHARSET, which leads me to ask
another question.  I don't actually use MM_CHARSET myself; if it's not
set then nmh simply falls back to using your locale setting (assuming
you have support for the nl_langinfo() function).  Why do people use
MM_CHARSET instead of just their locale setting?

I suspect a lot of old-timers are still dragging that setting around from
1998 when locale settings were still iffy on many systems (which is why
MM_CHARSET was added rather that using the locale setting).