Re: [Nmh-workers] colorized/highlighted scan output?

2012-11-07 22:59:31
my two reactions are: a) i didn't even know git did color,

That's what got me started with all this.  I find it
incredibly helpful with git (diff and status, and it looks
neat with log --graph).  And after using color with scan
for a few days, I wish I had enabled it a long time ago.

So I was surprised that git did color as well, because it sure doesn't do
that by default for me.  Even though the man page says that --color=always
is the default.

I see that it doesn't quite work out of the box seamlessly, at least
for me.  I need LESSOPTIONS to contain R to make it work.  And I
also realize the true reason that I generally don't like colorized
output; the default colors are terrible.  At least for me, with
"git log --color=always", there is very poor contrast for the commit
line output.

and b) why does anyone bother shipping a terminfo with
more than one entry these days?  clearly we wouldn't miss
it very badly.

I wouldn't, but I don't have any old terminals lying around.

I _used_ to have a actual, honest-to-god Telray T10s that I would
power up now and then (I actually had two).  I got rid of it because
I realize that a) it actually kinda sucked to use, and b) it was
taking up space that cheaper, newer, and better equipment could
use.  They went to electronic recycling years ago and I don't miss
them.  But Michael Richardson is right: "linux", "vt220", and "xterm"
don't all match up exactly.

I'm fine with the current status quo of inserting invisible characters
in mh-format output.  I'd really like to have us make terminfo sequences
available, though (I'd like stuff like bold or underline available).
Maybe if I get some free time I'll work on that ...