Re: [Nmh-workers] fmttest program - where to install it?

2012-11-19 22:05:27
On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 10:43 PM, Paul Fox
<pgf(_at_)foxharp(_dot_)boston(_dot_)ma(_dot_)us> wrote:

ken wrote:
 > I've been thinking about writing a program to test out format strings,
 > because the existing tools aren't quite good enough.  Also, maybe it
will
 > inspire some people to do some of the format programming themselves :-)
 >
 > But I have a dumb question: where should this program be installed?
 >
 > The current tools, "ap", "dp", and "fmtdump", all live in $(libdir).  I
 > understand doing this for backend programs designed to be called by
other
 > programs, like post & mhl.  But I never understood why those programs
 > were installed there.  Should this hypothetical test program be
installed
 > in $(libdir), or should it be installed in $(bindir) like all of the
other
 > nmh user-level executables?

i have no problem moving them.  i checked on ubuntu (using
/usr/lib/command-not-found) and surprisingly, dp is the only one with
a name collision.  (wouldn't you think all the two character names
would be gone by now?)  so we should probably at least consider a
rename for that.

    $ /usr/bin/python /usr/lib/command-not-found -- dp
    The program 'dp' is currently not installed.  You can install it by
typing:
    sudo apt-get install speech-tools
    $ /usr/bin/python /usr/lib/command-not-found -- ap
    ap: command not found
    $ /usr/bin/python /usr/lib/command-not-found -- fmtdump
    No command 'fmtdump' found, did you mean:
     Command 'mtdump' from package 'simh' (universe)
     Command 'fdtdump' from package 'device-tree-compiler' (main)
     Command 'ftdump' from package 'freetype2-demos' (universe)
    fmtdump: command not found
    $ cat /etc/issue
    Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS \n \l

 I have at least one script that refers to $(mhparam libdir)/ap and I'm
sure other people do too.  It would be best to hard or symlink the libdir
names into bindir for compatibility, at least for a major release.

Thanks

Jeff

--
Jeffrey C. Honig <jch(_at_)honig(_dot_)net>
http://www.honig.net/jch

paul