Re: [Nmh-workers] fmttest program - where to install it?

2012-11-20 08:48:24
ralph wrote:
Hi David,

Ralph wrote:
Is there a distro that puts nmh in /usr/bin and not /usr/bin/nmh?

Fedora puts the main commands in /usr/bin/.  And as Joel noted, the
ancilliary commands in /usr/libexec/.

Thanks.  So I think ap/dp/... should stay out of PATH by not being
prompted to /usr/bin or, if they must, have a more-specific, longer,
name there, but keep a presence in the old non-PATH location for legacy
uses that had to state their location.  Even `dateparse' isn't great
since dp is fairly specific to nmh's needs;  nmh-dp?  There's a track
record of /usr/bin/*-* existing, e.g. Debian.

indeed -- if mh were being packaged today, we'd probably have just a
single front-end command:  "mh comp", "mh inc", "mh refile", etc.

(to be clear:  i'm not proposing anything of the sort.)

paul