Re: [Nmh-workers] fmttest program - where to install it?

2012-11-20 05:41:53
Hi Ken,

The current tools, "ap", "dp", and "fmtdump", all live in $(libdir).
I understand doing this for backend programs designed to be called by
other programs, like post & mhl.  But I never understood why those
programs were installed there.  Should this hypothetical test program
be installed in $(libdir), or should it be installed in $(bindir) like
all of the other nmh user-level executables?

Is there a distro that puts nmh in /usr/bin and not /usr/bin/nmh?  Only
I think the brevity of ap and dp should be for important commands,
commonly typed, so we shouldn't pollute the namespace by nabbing them
now for nmh.  If it always needs the user to add nmh's bin to their PATH
then that's not so bad;  they can decide whether they have nmh's or the
wider world's.

If they have to remain in lib as well, or symlinks from there, for
compatibility, then perhaps they bin-name can be longer?

Cheers, Ralph.