Re: [Nmh-workers] fmttest program - where to install it?

2012-11-20 11:47:40
Ken Hornstein wrote:
- I'm fine with moving stuff into $(prefix)/libexec; the reason those
  programs were in $(libdir) was historical, and I think MH predated hier(7).
    I have no doubt this will screw over someone :-/

Note that hier(7) makes no mention of libexec. libexec is an invention
of the FSF and their standards document. Debian policy is not to use
it. Most Linux distributions simply follow whatever the source code
build system does by default. You won't find libexec on Solaris, Irix etc
other than perhaps where stuff has been built from source. libexec has
always struck me as somewhat pointless: lib is there for all architecture
dependent files, not just libraries and a top-level libexec directory
gives the programs a lot of prominence.

All you'd achieve with a change is creating unnecessary extra work
for packagers.

- Should we create links in $(libdir) for all of the programs that move to
    libexec?  I'm neutral on that.

I wouldn't. That'd just make things messier for people packaging for
systems that don't include a libexec in their policy.

Oliver