Re: [Nmh-workers] 78 column limit

2012-12-06 07:48:25

"Ken" == Ken Hornstein <kenh@pobox.com> writes:
    Ken> Now what I've seen is many times email clients will used
    Ken> quoted-printable
    Ken> encoding and send paragraphs as one line, but they'll still
    Ken> break at 76

The conclusion I came two after a discussion on ietf@ietf.org wasn't
that these mail clients are failing to mark things as format=flowed, but
rather that they are essentially not implementing text/plain at all,
rather they are just faking it from text/html.

Most egeviously, Apple is now bug compatible.

I'd like ietf.org to enforce the 77 column limit on email, and see what
happens.

    Ken> I will note that exmh seems to automatically reflow all long lines so
    Ken> that seems like a reasonable default behavior.

I'd like to write a document and declare that the standard.

                       then sign the petition.