Re: [Nmh-workers] 78 column limit

2012-12-05 16:50:14
On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 2:48 PM, norm wrote:

I send text/plain with lines no longer than 72 and blank lines between
paragraphs.

That's what I had been doing for years. And I did get complaints.

It is an exercise in futility to deal with MUAs that do not following
the specifications.  Text/plain should be rendered in fixed-width font
and line breaks should be honored.  Inferring "paragraphs" and
reformatting should not be done.

format=flowed was created to indicate when reformatting of text blocks
could be done, but also stay friendly to non-flowed-aware MUAs.  nmh is
not friendly in generating format=flowed, you will have to do it in the
editor you use.  And even if you do, unsure if all MUAs support it, or
the MUAs that regular folks use.

The lack of following of standards even occurs at Google.  GMail fails
to format text/plain in a fixed-font.  Pain in the ass when dealing with
code snippets and other text where fixed-width is essential.  For GMail,
I have domain-specific CSS settings for Firefox so mail messages are
rendered in a fixed-font (and to hide ads).

--ewh

P.S. I had a contract where I was required to use Outhouse...cough!...
Outlook.  At the time, I was able to dig around in the preferences and
get Outlook to render text/plain correctly, and even doing quoting
properly when I replied to an email.  Therefore, the core problem may be
with what the default settings of MUAs are.