Re: [Nmh-workers] UTF=8 in message bodies

2012-12-05 15:48:17
When nmh hands over the email to send using SMTP it would be nice if it
followed

   SMTP Service Extension for 8-bit MIME Transport
   http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6152

perhaps it does, and wanted an EHLO response with 8BITMIME support
before sending any top-bit-set bytes.  Maybe it already does this.

Sadly, it does not; whatever you put in the draft is just blasted out on
the wire.

So, implementing this .... I have no objection, but it would involve
drilling through a number of layers to make it happen (you'd want
to pass the message encoding down to the SMTP routines).  Also,
having it dynamically reencode to q-p at "send" time would be very
challenging; it would have to error out.

As much as it pains me to admit it .... I kind of find myself on the side
of DJB on this one.  Interoperability with 7-bit mailers?  Really?  REALLY?
Is that even an issue anymore?  A large part of me is working up the energy
to care about them.