Re: [Nmh-workers] UTF=8 in message bodies

2012-12-05 11:32:19
Hi,

Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
Ken wrote:
What's wrong with QP?  Are you advocating for Base64?  If so, why?

Well, since you're asking ... I'm advocating 8bit.  Or really, make
the encoding user-selectable.

Oh :-)  I don't usually think of 8bit as an 'encoded' form :-)

I would certainly buy in to 8bit as the default for text/*.  I can't
think of any current MTAs that won't handle it, but there should be a
user configurable override.

Is an override required?  It could always try to send 8-bit...

When nmh hands over the email to send using SMTP it would be nice if it
followed

    SMTP Service Extension for 8-bit MIME Transport
    http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6152

perhaps it does, and wanted an EHLO response with 8BITMIME support
before sending any top-bit-set bytes.  Maybe it already does this.

Cheers, Ralph.