Re: [Nmh-workers] UTF=8 in message bodies

2012-12-05 12:32:23
Hi Lyndon,

Ralph Corderoy wrote:
Is an override required?  It could always try to send 8-bit...

Which could fail if the system has an MTA that doesn't do 8bit.

The RFC covers what to do in this case;  either downgrade to 7-bit or
fail to pass it on with an error.

And there might be other reasons the user needs a different encoding.

IIRC one of the MTAs in the chain can upgrade the message from seven to
8-bit just as others can downgrade;  I'm not sure the user can enforce
an end-to-end 7-bit transfer.

Don't assume everyone is using SMTP as their transport.

I didn't;  "When nmh hands over the email to send using SMTP".  :-)

Some advocacy, including opinionated.  :-)

    http://cr.yp.to/smtp/8bitmime.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_SMTP#List_of_supporting_servers_2

Cheers, Ralph.