Re: [Nmh-workers] UTF=8 in message bodies

2012-12-05 19:29:04
I have a hard time believing we have nmh users that want to submit
email to an SMTP server that doesn't support 8BITMIME.  Once it leaves
the local mail server then of course all bets are off but that's not
an nmh problem.

So did I, until I had to support email software for a living :-P

I'm sorry, I'm still skeptical.  Please, I'd like ONE example of a
nmh user that submits email to a SMTP server which cannot handle
8-bit messages.  Remember that I'm not talking about a random SMTP
server on the Internet; something that we _actually_ have users that
_submit_ mail to.  I assert that the number of users who meet this
criteria is 0 (I will admit that it's impossible for me to prove this
assertion; it's only possible for it to be disproved).

There is no pain to support 7bit in nmh: it's already there.  While
I am a big fan of ripping out code, there are times when it's not
appropriate, and this in one of them.

Well, okay, let me ask you ... when you are talking about "the 7bit code",
what do you mean, exactly?  Are we talking about something that generates
draft messages?  The SMTP code?  Something else?

I'm not proposing we rip anything out; right now we're not even
following the RFCs.  Or maybe that's just Ralph :-)