Re: [Nmh-workers] message rewrite/fix up

2013-02-09 16:51:24

Backup (,) message files aren't, either, and I view
the originals as similar in that respect.  With the Message-ID
files, the original can be found with an easy grep.

Me too, as I won't keep them anyway.

But those who actually want to keep originals for something
other than just debugging: Will they want to refile etc. them?

I don't know the answer and even if it is "yes", I don't have
a solution. But I think these things should be discussed, otherwise
the next day somebody will come and implement a switch to rmm or some
other existing nmh command to somehow handle originals together with
the message itself.

I'm also undecided on whether "preferred form" includes
headers to properly mark the message as 8bit as if it was
actually sent that way.

I hadn't thought about keeping the old C-T-E header when
decoding base64 or Q-P, but I suppose it could.  At this point,
I don't see the value in that, as noted in my message earlier
today about Valdis's observation.

My reasoning was along the line of "what would happen if I packf
a bunch of messages in preferred form and open the resulting
mbox in some external program". I don't know.

The C-T-E header must always match the actual content, so
mhfixmsg adjusts it as necessary.  Messages can still be
handled by external programs (and nmh programs, of course).

Maybe I misunderstood your original comment about properly
marking the message as it was actually sent.  I'm not aware
of any standard header mechanism to indicate a prior
encoding.  (And we only have what we received; we don't know
how the message was originally sent, but I don't think
that's the concern here.)

Sorry, that's probably my poor english grammar. The question I was
wondering about is: Should messages in "preferred form" have headers
like

(which I think is the minimum for RFC conform 8bit messages) or should
such headers be stripped. I have come to the conclusion that these
headers are to be present.

Harald