Re: [Nmh-workers] Features for 1.6

2013-10-20 10:05:31
Norm wrote:

Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> writes:
Hope it didn't come across like I was picking on you ... you
had explained (from what I remember) that a correspondent of
yours complained that your emails looked "funny", so you
eventually settled on just making your paragraphs one long
line.

Note that lines longer than 998 characters are not allowed.

(It does occur to me, however, that if you set automimeproc
to 1 in your mh_profile then all of your emails would be
encoded as q-p and they should show up properly for
everyone).

Rather than risk irreversible injury to my 81 year old brain,
trying to understand what q-p means and what buildmimeproc
does, I will revert.

q-p is "quoted-printable", an encoding scheme for text.  Encoded
q-p text is more or less readable, but it can interfere with
quick grepping of messages because it works by introducing
additional characters.  For that reason, I don't use automimeproc.
(And printable ASCII characters don't need to be encoded.)

But there is a small problem. My standard editor width is not 78
columns, but 80 columns. So I will have to introduce an option into
my editor to make the window width 78 columns (actually, I'll make
it 77 columns to have a bit of slop). I wonder what I should name
that option. Said differently where and how did you get that
number,78 columns? I suppose it's some kind of standard?

Well, the 78 character limit is a "SHOULD" rather than a "MUST".
It's in sec. 2.1.1 of RFC 5322 (and 2822), which begins:

   There are two limits that this standard places on the number
   of characters in a line. Each line of characters MUST be no
   more than 998 characters, and SHOULD be no more than 78
   characters, excluding the CRLF.

David