Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh not using w3n or elinks

2014-05-16 08:03:34
ken wrote:
It shouldn't be hard to code up a reasonably portable script that would
do this.

I still like the idea of including a simple built-in formatter.  I will
go play with htmlfmt and see just how much work it will be to port it.

I'm fine with either of these options.  If we include htmlfmt, it might make
sense to include the other entries for text/html in the mhn.defaults but
commented out, so people can see some examples.

that's a very good idea.  tested templates are always helpful.

but now that i'm thinking about wrapper scripts, i wonder if they
might be useful for other things as well.

for instance:  for mhstore -- where and how i save a file varies
almost every time i do so.  a helper script that suggested a filename,
but let me edit it, might be just the thing.

another example:  the notion that there's just one answer to "how
should i display <foo>?" is a little naive.  i'm sure we all might use
any of several apps to view a specific type of content.  i have a
monolithic script that helps me deal with attachments (or inlines ;-).
when it sees application/pdf, it asks me whether it should use xpdf,
okular, or acroread, and arranges for an MHSHOW variable that will do
the right thing.  for msword it similarly gives me a choice between
antiword or libreoffice.  i'll bet all that prompting could be done
using individual wrapper scripts invoked from
mhshow-show-application/<foo> entries.

i'm not really proposing anything here -- more like thinking out loud.

paul