Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh not using w3n or elinks

2014-05-16 13:30:48
another example:  the notion that there's just one answer to "how
should i display <foo>?" is a little naive.  i'm sure we all might use
any of several apps to view a specific type of content.  i have a
monolithic script that helps me deal with attachments (or inlines ;-).
when it sees application/pdf, it asks me whether it should use xpdf,
okular, or acroread, and arranges for an MHSHOW variable that will do
the right thing.  for msword it similarly gives me a choice between
antiword or libreoffice.  i'll bet all that prompting could be done
using individual wrapper scripts invoked from
mhshow-show-application/<foo> entries.

I know what you mean ... it seems like we need a new tool.  mhshow really
seems to be more about "display this content", mhstore is more about "store
this content".  We don't really have something that's in the middle:
"direct this content to stdout".  I know it's possible to cobble something
up with mhshow and the MHSHOW environment variable, but it just seems
like we need a few more primitives (or the existing tools need to be a
bit smarter).