Re: [Nmh-workers] A non-complaint

2014-08-07 04:52:09
Hi David,

Ken's pointed out the <meta> wasn't in the original message;  were you
seeing that in Chrome's view of the source?  It might add it based on
the default it chose.  Ken said the HTML default was Windows-1252;  it
seems surprising Windows was ever a default.  I thought it was
ISO-8859-1 up until HTML 5 which explicitly states it's UTF-8 along with
a system for guessing based on the byte values.  So that's why I think a
recent Chrome is going to assume UTF-8.

And I don't see them even if I set LANG to en_US.ISO-8859-1 or C.

No, I don't think the locale affects the default charset in the HTML
specs.

This is an awful way around that:

    mhshow-show-text/html: google-chrome --new-window %F; sleep 5

That really is ugly, though I don't see a way to get chrome to not
exit the process reliably until after it reads the file.

I've no Chrome to test with, but how about something like

    exec 42<%F && google-chrome /dev/fd/42

It doesn't matter then if Chrome exits and %F is removed by nmh before
the child Chrome reads the file since the open file description keeps
the reference count bumped and the inode around.  The downside is it
stays until child-chrome exits too.

Cheers, Ralph.