Re: [Nmh-workers] What are and what should be the qualifications for a current nmh user

2014-11-17 19:24:37
I can only say that at least for iCloud, there's a web interface which
should work from anything.

Can you deploy your own app to the iCloud, or are you limited to what
Apple has provided?  And am I correct in believing that Apple removed
public access from everything when they moved away from mac.com/me.com?
Put a different way, can you publish a subset of your information for
others to access?

I ... am not the expert there (although I have no idea what "deploy an app
to iCloud" really means).  However, I do see that:

- Third-party programs have the ability to access Reminders data (Taco is one
  example).
- People use CalDAV stuff to access calendars on iCloud.
- I have personally shared Reminders and calendars with other iCloud users.
- Others have published their iCloud calendars to CalDAV users.

Personally, I want something that is at least superficially independent
of the major evil empires.  (Amazon, Apple, Google, Microsoft, pick your
poison.  FWIW, I use them all in some capacity.)  I don't have anything
in particular against any one of them more than any other, but I don't
really gravitate towards any one of them either.

I can understand that impulse.  I will FULLY admit that I drank the
Apple Kool-Aid a long time ago.  I did look at one of the open-source
CalDAV servers at one point, but the dependency list was like 20 packages
long ... I just knew running that damn thing was going to be a nightmare.
With iCloud, it just all works.  Again, to each his or her own.