Re: [Nmh-workers] What are and what should be the qualifications for a current nmh user

2014-11-17 23:32:56
I ... am not the expert there (although I have no idea what "deploy an app
to iCloud" really means).

It means that you would be able to put your own service on the iCloud
and be able to access it from some kind of client (web browser, phone or
tablet app, command line, etc).  There are a lot of ways to accomplish
these kinds of things.  In my world, it used to be that you ran a
service on your own computer (I ran a bunch of stuff off of a Sun Ultra
20 on my desk), then you might have a dedicated server somewhere
attached to the Internet (I had a server room with VAXen and Suns), then
various ISPs popped up, so you could run a server at GoDaddy or
likesuchas, then we got tired of shared server and network stuff and
started doing the VPS thing (virtual private server) that gave us the
illusion of more control.  At some point, someone came up with the idea
of the "cloud" which is really just a big room with a lot of servers, so
you don't really know which one is providing the service that you are
accessing.  We throw around a lot of fancy TLAs like "SOA" and FLAs like
IaaS, PaaS and SaaS, but basically it means that someone besides you
bought a bunch of computers and you're paying them for access and
they're the ones who get to take the depreciation write-off.  You win
because you don't have to pay for the whole infrastructure, and they win
because they've locked you in to their ecosystem.

However, I do see that:  [SNIP]

Thanks for the info.  I seem to remember that was the way it worked in
the mac.com days too.

I will FULLY admit that I drank the Apple Kool-Aid a long time ago.

I did too, I was OSXlover on mac.com.  Unfortunately, I woke up from
that dream...

Regards,
Doug