Re: [Nmh-workers] What are and what should be the qualifications for a current nmh user

2014-11-17 15:16:58
At least it's not XML.  ;)  Interesting to think about whether it's
easier to modify inc, show, etc., or make a whole new calendar program
that works in a similar manner to nmh...

Weeelll ... I can't speak for anyone else.  But here are my thoughts,
for what they're worth:

- To me the value of a to-do and calendar list is ubiquity.  The iCloud
  Reminders and calendar work on my phone, desktop, iPad ... if I think of
  something to add, one of those devices is always nearby.  I don't want
  to run my own server, which would be horrible.

- The syncing service seems to work well.  iCloud also seems to take care
  of authentication for me.

- Sharing stuff with other people actually works!

Now could a set of tools like nmh maybe be useful in that situation?
Perhaps ... _if_ it interfaced with an existing calendar/to do system.
If you tried to make your own ... it would be a huge amount of work.

I think it would be nice to have a stack of items that I could display
with "show" regardless of whether they were email, calendar events or
tasks.  It would be cool if, at the top of the show output, I could see
things like "mom's birthday" or "call about insurance quote" or "check
to see if widgets are back in stock".  Of course, it's very easy to let
requirements get way out of hand way too quickly!

Weeeelll ... you might want to think about how that would be implemented.
On the nmh front ... well, we're really standing on the shoulders of giants
at this stage.  At least when the bulk of MH development was done, people
were getting paid to do it; ever since the switch to nmh, they haven't.
So we're kind of focused on what we can get done on just the email side
of things.

I can't speak for what happened to Chandler, but those guys were getting
paid and ... well, a quick web search makes it seem like they had
trouble shipping a product..  If you want something that would replicate
Chandler, that sounds like a lot of work to me.  Not that I'm scared of
a lot of work, but I have a full-time job already.