Re: [Nmh-workers] Emails being tagged as spam -- NMH solution???

2015-02-19 14:58:43
As you can probably see from this message's header, my nominal
email provider is Google (@gmail.com) but my ISP is Comcast.  In
particular, they are not the same domain.  Nor are my Google
account's username and my machine's login ID the same (for
historical reasons).  So, even though I set up as much of my
composed message's header to reflect the @gmail.com account, it's
pretty clear that it's coming from someone else.  Hence, the
tagging of them by aggressive filters as spam.

So, it might be useful to figure out exactly what is causing the spam
tagging, and work on that.  I know that this is sometimes hard to
discover.

I can only say that this email has one domain, but is being submitted
to another domain and AFAIK, I get caught in zero spam filters ... at
least, that's what I can tell.

Note:  since my machine login ID is a pretty common one, to avoid
my emails bounces going to someone else accidentally I set up
sendmail to specify my domain as @localhost.localdomain.  This no
doubt also contributes to the spam-tagging.

Well, I guess I would wonder what the effects of that are.  First off,
I see your message-id has "@localhost.localdomain" in it; if I had to
guess, I would think that would be one of the biggest things that
spam filters are being triggered by in your case.  Also ... I don't
understand why you would need to do this to stop email bounces.  Your
bounces should be going to the envelope-from address, and that looks like
it is set correctly.

I'm guessing that one "simple" solution might be to purchase my
own domain, and then register it with GMail as an "equivalent
address" to "validate" my emails as non-spam.  I'd like to avoid
this if possible.

So my configuration is that I do not use sendmail at all; I have nmh do
authenticated SMTP directly to the mail server I send stuff through.  I
think that if you did that you'd be in much better shape; for starters,
your message-id would be a lot better.  You might have to do slight
tweaking to get that to work right with gmail (like enabling your
account for "insecure" applications), but I believe it should work fine
with the stock nmh.

We have contribued work from Eric Gillespie to support the XOAUTH protocol
used by gmail; it's on my list of things to integrate, but it's kind of
complicated and I haven't yet had the time to figure it out.