Re: [Nmh-workers] Emails being tagged as spam -- NMH solution???

2015-02-21 22:26:22
Good question.  I'm assuming it's because of the different sender
domain versus From: domain because friends have warned me that
their mailer is popping up a "this email might not have been sent
by dnc2dnc@gmail.com" warnings.  I also see something similar
when GMail tags my own messages (that I've Cc-ed myself on).

Yeah, based on what Oliver said, I think my first guess was wrong;
you're almost certainly being tripped up by the SPF rules gmail is
using.

Is there a better domain to use?

Well, I was thinking that probably you should just let someone else
add the message-id, or create your own (see send(1) and the -msgid and
-messageid options), but really, I think submitting directly to gmail
is better.

Comcast is my ISP, but I don't want sendmail thinking that
another Comcast user's email address (e.g. foo.user@comcast.net)
is a local address, trying (and failing) to send email to a
non-existent user on my computer.  I also don't want the Sender:
address that would be generated (bob@comcast.net) to be seen as a
possible address for mailers to send replies to (see below).

Ah, okay. post(8) will no longer create a Sender: header for what it
THINKS (and frequently got wrong ) is the email address as of 1.5.  So
that should not be a concern anymore.

Not needing to use Sendmail would probably be a godsend for me,
as I obviously don't understand it or how to correctly set it up!
I can try this and see if I'm successful.

Could you point me to a man page, or maybe NMH archives that I
could read to experiment?

I think you should look at send(1), specifically the following options:

        -server
        -port
        -tls
        -sasl
        -user

If your mts.conf has a setting of "sendmail/smtp" or "sendmail/pipe" for
"mts", you can temporarily override that via the -mts switch (you want
smtp for the MTS).

Ralph pointed you this web page:

https://support.google.com/mail/troubleshooter/1668960?hl=en#ts=1665119,1665162

Which should point you in the right direction.  You can also add -snoop to
see what is actually being exchanged between you and the gmail servers.
I just want to caution you up front ... if, for instance, you run into
problems and you want to post the output from -snoop, you should be
careful as some of the exchanges can expose your password (it will be
base64 encoded, but anyone can undo that).