Re: [Nmh-workers] Emails being tagged as spam -- NMH solution???

2015-02-21 16:23:23
[Note:  this email is being sent directly from the GMail web
 client, so its header should be correct and not "spammy."]

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 15:58:21 -0500 Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>
sez:

As you can probably see from this message's header, my nominal
email provider is Google (@gmail.com) but my ISP is Comcast.  In
particular, they are not the same domain.  Nor are my Google
account's username and my machine's login ID the same (for
historical reasons).  So, even though I set up as much of my
composed message's header to reflect the @gmail.com account, it's
pretty clear that it's coming from someone else.  Hence, the
tagging of them by aggressive filters as spam.

So, it might be useful to figure out exactly what is causing
the spam tagging, and work on that.  I know that this is
sometimes hard to discover.

I can only say that this email has one domain, but is being
submitted to another domain and AFAIK, I get caught in zero
spam filters ... at least, that's what I can tell.

Good question.  I'm assuming it's because of the different sender
domain versus From: domain because friends have warned me that
their mailer is popping up a "this email might not have been sent
by dnc2dnc(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com" warnings.  I also see something similar
when GMail tags my own messages (that I've Cc-ed myself on).

Note:  since my machine login ID is a pretty common one, to avoid
my emails bounces going to someone else accidentally I set up
sendmail to specify my domain as @localhost.localdomain.  This no
doubt also contributes to the spam-tagging.

Well, I guess I would wonder what the effects of that are.
First off, I see your message-id has "@localhost.localdomain"
in it; if I had to guess, I would think that would be one of
the biggest things that spam filters are being triggered by in
your case.  Also ... I don't understand why you would need to
do this to stop email bounces.  Your bounces should be going to
the envelope-from address, and that looks like it is set
correctly.

Is there a better domain to use?

Comcast is my ISP, but I don't want sendmail thinking that
another Comcast user's email address (e.g.
foo(_dot_)user(_at_)comcast(_dot_)net)
is a local address, trying (and failing) to send email to a
non-existent user on my computer.  I also don't want the Sender:
address that would be generated (bob(_at_)comcast(_dot_)net) to be seen as a
possible address for mailers to send replies to (see below).

As for why I'm using @localhost.localdomain, that's for
historical reasons.  In the (dim-and-distant) past, a few friends
complained that replies to my emails would actually be set up to
be sent to the Sender: address, despite my From: and Reply-To:
fields being set to my public email address.  (Other than that
address, I haven't changed my $MH_DIR/components in probably 15
years.)  I used to use "mit.edu" as my computer's domain (because
I didn't know about @localhost.localdomain), and there really
is/was an active bob(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu email address who actually received
a few of those replies.

I'm guessing that one "simple" solution might be to purchase my
own domain, and then register it with GMail as an "equivalent
address" to "validate" my emails as non-spam.  I'd like to avoid
this if possible.

So my configuration is that I do not use sendmail at all; I
have nmh do authenticated SMTP directly to the mail server I
send stuff through.  I think that if you did that you'd be in
much better shape; for starters, your message-id would be a lot
better.  You might have to do slight tweaking to get that to
work right with gmail (like enabling your account for
"insecure" applications), but I believe it should work fine
with the stock nmh.

We have contribued work from Eric Gillespie to support the
XOAUTH protocol used by gmail; it's on my list of things to
integrate, but it's kind of complicated and I haven't yet had
the time to figure it out.

Not needing to use Sendmail would probably be a godsend for me,
as I obviously don't understand it or how to correctly set it up!
I can try this and see if I'm successful.

Could you point me to a man page, or maybe NMH archives that I
could read to experiment?

Thank you very much!!!

Bob