Re: [Nmh-workers] Emails being tagged as spam -- NMH solution???

2015-02-21 16:23:43
[Note:  this email is being sent directly from the GMail web
 client, so its header should be correct and not "spammy."]

Oliver:  yes, I'm using Comcast.  Here are the (I think) relevant
bits of my sendmail.mc file:

     FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
     FEATURE(`genericstable')dnl
     GENERICS_DOMAIN(`localhost.localdomain')dnl
     MAILER(`local')dnl
     MAILER(`smtp')dnl
     define(`SMART_HOST', `[smtp.comcast.net]')dnl
     MASQUERADE_AS(gmail.com)dnl

Please send me details on using Exim.  If that eliminates the
need for Sendmail, or at least for me to directly configure it,
I'm all for it!  I only use Sendmail to send my own outgoing
emails (which always use my GMail account).  Thanks!

Ralph:  yes, I am (always [trying to]) claim that my emails come
from GMail.  I absolutely believe that I'm doing it wrong, or at
least in a "spammy" way.  I can understand the need for TLS or
SSL -- and would not want to send outgoing mail in an insecure
fashion -- but I don't know how to set that up with sendmail.
Would this be a good reference (for TLS)?

     http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/starttls.html

Thanks a lot!

Bob

On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 14:41:16 +0100 Oliver Kiddle
<okiddle(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> sez:

Bob Carragher wrote:
Emails that I send are starting to be tagged as spam or potential

As you can probably see from this message's header, my nominal
email provider is Google (@gmail.com) but my ISP is Comcast.  In

Is your sendmail configured to use a comcast mail server as a
smart host?  Doing either that or having sendmail send mail to
the final host directly itself is not such a good idea these
days.  If you use a gmail.com address, use gmail's smart host
for outgoing mail.  This works better with stuff like SPF and
domain keys which try to verify the sending host.

I have Exim configured to look at the From: address I've set
and pick between one of several smart hosts.  In fact, the main
reason I use exim is that it made that easy to configure.  I
can send you more details on that if you're interested.

Oliver

On Sat, 21 Feb 2015 18:57:14 +0000 Ralph Corderoy
<ralph(_at_)inputplus(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> sez:

Hi Bob,

Oliver wrote:
If you use a gmail.com address, use gmail's smart host for outgoing
mail. This works better with stuff like SPF and domain keys which try
to verify the sending host.

Oliver's quite right;  if you're claiming the email is from
Gmail then it really has to travel out via their servers.  A
lot of the rest of the world will check things like Gmail's SPF
definitions, and any DKIM header.

    $ dig +short gmail.com txt
    "v=spf1 redirect=_spf.google.com"

https://support.google.com/mail/troubleshooter/1668960?hl=en#ts=1665119,1665162
says how to send mail to Gmail's SMTP server for it to send on.
It's part of their information for configuring POP3 to receive
email, but it's useful standalone.  You do have to use TLS or
SSL for the SMTP;  a plain text connection won't do.  It looks
like recent send(1)s support -tls amongst other stuff.

Cheers, Ralph.