Re: [Nmh-workers] Maybe time for a new release?

2016-03-10 20:08:36
Conrad wrote:

Yes, seems so; I guess I'd just like a "best practice" section in the
mhfixmsg man page which shows (for example) a recommended command line
invocation (more-or-less covered a few emails back) and a procmail recipe.

There's been a procmail recipe in the man page since March of 2013, under
"Integration with procmail".

I've tried running mhfixmsg across a selection of my email, and encountered a
mixture of complaints and occasional dumped cores (which I'll investigate and
report on — it may be that my Debian nmh-1.6-2 has bugs not present in the
current version).

Possible, there have been bug fixes over the years, not sure what Debian has
ended up with.  It's so easy to download and build the latest, assuming you
have modern autoconf, etc., so I recommend that instead of chasing down bugs in
an older version:

    $ git clone git://git.savannah.nongnu.org/nmh.git
    $ cd nmh
    $ docs/contrib/build_nmh -div

The -i option to build_nmh will install, in the location that it prompts you
for.

In principle I'd *like* to run mhfixmsg on email as it's delivered, but I'm
also sympathetic to the "keep the wire copy" argument, and a little worried
because of the abovementioned failures; does anyone else run it through
procmail?

Yes, I use the procmail recipe that's in the man page.  It saves a backup of
each message in case you want.  I've never had to look at a backup.

David