Re: [Nmh-workers] Segfault in post from mime quoted names in aliases

2017-04-13 04:37:36
    Date:        Thu, 13 Apr 2017 09:04:11 +0200
    From:        Johan Viklund <johan(_dot_)viklund(_at_)nbis(_dot_)se>

  | Besides, does anybody use this unix-group
  | feature as it's supposed to be used?

I very much doubt it ... I think that stuff probably dates from the days
when there was only MH and the (oiginal, 6th edition) /bin/mail as a mail
delivery system - probably even before uucp appeared (and perhaps even
other MUAs, like Mail, as alteratives to MH, but those are irrelevant)

The send to all, and send to group, alias features were (I am guessing)
the earliest implementation of some kind of mailing list ability.  By
setting up groups, containing lists of recipient names, a crude form of
mailing list was achieved.

Since I used delivermail (the precursor to sendmail) before I first used
MH (I think, this was all so long ago....) I used to simply rip all the
send to group and send to all nonsense out of MH before installing it.

It really is time all this is retired permanently - no-one with half a brain
would use the group file to make a mailing list these days, and if someone
wants a mailing list with the same name as a group, a much better solution
is to simply make a mailing list using whatever technique the local MTA
supports .. then it is available to everyone, not just nmh users, and it
does not force users who need to be a member of the system group for whatever
reason to also receive mail sent to the list, if they don't want it, and
allows others who do want to see the mail to receive it, without necessarily
giving them access to the system group and its privileges.

kre