Re: [Nmh-workers] Segfault in post from mime quoted names in aliases

2017-04-13 09:05:23
Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> writes:
Maybe.  `address' still isn't well defined, e.g.

   $ sed q ~/mail/aliases
   jnr: "William Gates, III" <bill(_at_)outlook(_dot_)com>
   $ ali jnr
   "William Gates, III" <bill(_at_)outlook(_dot_)com>
   $ ali -list jnr
   "William Gates
   III" <bill(_at_)outlook(_dot_)com>
   $

Yeah, I think those things might be space-split in the aliases file when
displaying them.  When post gets to them I believe the right things happen.

I think I'm siding with kre.  Bin the `=' group membership and `+'
primary group ID.  `*' is already on the scrapheap.  Given the problems
with personal aliases being subverted by external changes, as outlined
in my last email, I'd also ditch the system-wide nmh alias file.  Those
that depend on it can still explicitly `< alias-file' to pull it in,
knowing that it's happening and could have an effect.

Well, if it's both you AND kre thinking this ancient feature should go,
then that's a pretty strong argument.  I think kre has it nailed; this
is probably some early mailing list functionality and since nmh is the
only MUA that does that it probably has zero use today.

Normally I would suggest deprecating this feature and then removing it
after the next release, but it's impacting reasonable behavior NOW, and
fixing the core dump issue here just means trying to comprehend a pile
of code that's just a mess and that we all agree needs to go.  So what
do people think of just getting rid of all of it now?

I don't believe that I've EVER used it, even from the very beginning of
MH. Certainly not for many years.

    Norman Shapiro