Re: [Nmh-workers] Segfault in post from mime quoted names in aliases

2017-04-13 05:11:27
Hi Ken,

Ah, this IS documented, though!  From mh-alias(5):

    UNIX file names.  UNIX-group is a group name or number from the
    system's group database.

Yes, sorry, I did see that but then it got flushed out the cache as I
tried to track the code.  :-)

The only way you could get that routine to fail would be to do
something like =8765 and not have it be a valid group.

Right, and that's not ignored, except for the system-wide alias file.
(Presumably because the user might not be able to fix that and shouldn't
be stopped from using nmh in the meantime.)

It occurs to me that a group cannot start with '?'

There's some right nutters out there.

    $ id
    uid=1000(ralph) gid=1000(ralph)
groups=1000(ralph),10(wheel),100(users),1042(?kenfan)
    $ >foo
    $ chgrp \?kenfan foo
    $ ls -l
    total 0
    -rw-r--r-- 1 ralph ?kenfan 0 Apr 13 10:48 foo
    $

so a simple solution would be to just treat '=?' as the start of
literal text

Maybe.  `address' still isn't well defined, e.g.

    $ sed q ~/mail/aliases
    jnr: "William Gates, III" <bill(_at_)outlook(_dot_)com>
    $ ali jnr
    "William Gates, III" <bill(_at_)outlook(_dot_)com>
    $ ali -list jnr
    "William Gates
    III" <bill(_at_)outlook(_dot_)com>
    $

I think I'm siding with kre.  Bin the `=' group membership and `+'
primary group ID.  `*' is already on the scrapheap.  Given the problems
with personal aliases being subverted by external changes, as outlined
in my last email, I'd also ditch the system-wide nmh alias file.  Those
that depend on it can still explicitly `< alias-file' to pull it in,
knowing that it's happening and could have an effect.

Beef up `address' definition so it parses the same way as if I gave an
address list to comp.  That leaves `foo: <bar' to define foo as bar's
contents.

If alias files need these bells and whistles then something invalid to
say an address isn't that but something else is required, e.g. the
definition starts with an `@'?

    foo: bar, @<xyzzy
    wheelers: me, @group(wheel)

--