Re: I'm confused

2019-12-07 10:33:14
Ralph Corderoy <ralph@inputplus.co.uk> writes:
Hi Norm,

It yielded:

inc: no mail to incorporate
=20
Try it again.  You should have an email from me waiting.
Tell us what inc reports this next time.

It yielded:

inc: no mail to incorporate

That's odd.  You're used to fetchmail and it's worked for you in the
past.  How about you try that?  In your /root/.fetchmailrc you can add
Gmail with this at the end, changing ‘foobar’:

skip gmail via pop.gmail.com proto imap
user "Normanzalmonshapiro@Gmail.com" is norm
password "foobar" ssl

The ‘skip’ instead of ‘poll’ means that the account won't be accessed
by
fetchmail unless it's explicitly named.  This means your existing run
of fetchmail will just continue with imap.rawbw.com and not Gmail.

To then test retrieval from Gmail, run

fetchmail -f /root/.fetchmailrc -a gmail

The ‘-a’ means to fetch all emails, including those that Gmail thinks
have been ‘seen’.  It might be useful just for this test.

--
Cheers, Ralph.

When I do that I get:

fetchmail: WARNING: Running as root is discouraged.
Enter password for root@gmail:
fetchmail: couldn't find canonical DNS name of gmail (gmail): Name or service
not known
fetchmail: Query status=11 (DNS)

Comments:

Line 1: I aways get that warning. My script ignores it.

Line 2: I don't know what is meant by "password for root@gmail".  But
no matter what I enter there, including: my password, root's password,
a nonsense string, and the gmail password, the result is the same.

When I give fetchmail a -v argument I get:

fetchmail: WARNING: Running as root is discouraged.
Enter password for root@gmail:
fetchmail: 6.3.17 querying gmail (protocol auto) at Sat 07 Dec 2019 07:05:01 AM
PST: poll started
fetchmail: 6.3.17 querying gmail (protocol IMAP) at Sat 07 Dec 2019 07:05:01 AM
PST: poll started
fetchmail: couldn't find canonical DNS name of gmail (gmail): Name or service
not known
fetchmail: 6.3.17 querying gmail (protocol IMAP) at Sat 07 Dec 2019 07:05:01 AM
PST: poll completed
fetchmail: 6.3.17 querying gmail (protocol auto) at Sat 07 Dec 2019 07:05:01 AM
PST: poll completed
fetchmail: Query status=11 (DNS)
fetchmail: normal termination, status 11

    Norman Shapiro