perl-unicode

Re: In-Band Information Considered Harmful

1998-10-23 14:37:59
On 23 Oct 1998, Stephen Zander wrote:
"Steve" == Steve Purkis <spurkis(_at_)engsoc(_dot_)carleton(_dot_)ca>
writes:
    Steve> Seems ok, as long as there are never any cases where
    Steve> metadata may contain information relevant to the content -
    Steve> and I can't think of any offhand..

Eh? I would have thought meta-data is more likely than not to contain
information relevant to content.  Meta-data provides the context in
which content is interpreted.

Yes, but metadata only exists to augment the way content is received - the
context does not define the content.

My point is: if perl were to ignore the metadata, and that's what I'm
getting out of this discussion, then it would only be safe to do so if the
metadata did not change the data contained in the content.

Of course, you might argue that the context is needed to interpret the
content (is that what you were getting at?), in which case ignoring
metadata might not be such a good idea.  Maybe there should be a switch?
(metaswitch? :)

regards,
+---
 Steve Purkis, Computer Engineering
 spurkis(_at_)engsoc(_dot_)carleton(_dot_)ca