Re: Help with Harassment

1996-07-12 06:52:40
You wrote:

It people are forging email at you you should definitely take it up with
the system adminitrators of the site in question, or with their upstream
site if they are their own admins.  Harrassment is serious, and so is
forgery.

Oh, dear, you have no idea what I am up against. I have already complained
to postmasters above the Elision corp. (Compuserve) who did nothing. I
already called a lawyer, I already called the police. I already filed a FBI
report. The intention of these harassers is to get me off the Net and they
don't seem to have any regard for the law. I also find that the more energy
that I put into hiring lawyers, filing reports, etc. the more they are
successful in censoring me by harassment.
There are many of them and only one of me. So, I decided that Procmail was
the best way to go. Just put em in /dev/null and forget about them. However,
they now know that I have Procmail and will try to find a way around it. The
corporation which is harassing me is called Elision (you can do a Internic
whois), it is actually in the Internet business and we are looking into a
lawsuit against them. These people are the very lowest scum of what can be a
pretty scummy internet.

While I am at it, I thought I would mention that the forgeries are so bad
that they are forging my PGP signature by pasting the PGP ascii text and
using my sig! I did complain about that to the postmaster and I think
something was done about it but that is how bad it is. I believe they just
passed a law in Washington State that makes it illegal to forge a person's
electronic signature.

1. Is there anyway to get the Procmail to recognize something besides the
Subject, To and From lines? Can it search the Received-From lines? If so,
how can you do that?

Sure.  Where a recipe might say:
* ^Subject:.*sometext
change it to
* ^Received-From:.*someaddress

2. Is there any way to get Procmail to recognize a CC line?

The "^TO" and "^TO_" tokens do recognise a Cc: header, so this matches:
* ^TOsomeaddress
but if you want to specifically check the Cc: header, do it this way:
* ^Cc:.*someaddress

3. Is there any way to get Procmail to search the entire body of the message
or the header for a certain key word.

If you want to search the header, it will do it by default:
* somekeyword

So, if I want to search everything - the cc line, the to line, etc. for a
certain keyword, I would put as follows, then put it into my /dev/null then
I would do this:

* somekeyword
/dev/null

The above would be the simplest. Would this search the header for the
presence of the word "elision"? Yes, virtually all the words I could search
for would be so odd that I would have little chance of getting a real e-mail
dumped.

If you want to search the body, probably the simplest way is to include
the "B" flag on the flag line (the one starting ":0"):
:0 B
* somekeyword

Of course, all recipes should have the :0 line, so if you wanted to
filter these into your junk folder you'd do:

:0 :
* oneoftheaboveconditions
junk

I recommend putting the mail into a junk folder rather than discarding
it in case it matches other mail too.

Id rather think of a password which my friends could put in the subject line
to use to make sure their e-mail gets through and put into a certain folder.
I think I can set the conditions such that there wouldnt be good e-mail sent
to the bin. These harassing people are a certain number of people, I dont
want to hear from them or anything about them so if their names are in an
e-mail or its header, I would automatically consider it junk no matter who
sent it.

If you wanted to be more clever you could do such things as scoring.
All the above is described (though not explained in simple terms) in the
procmailrc and procmailsc manual pages.  If this is still not making
sense, read the procmailex page to see some examples.

If I wanted to be clever then I could get people's e-mail to bounce back to
them. I have followed EXACTLY how it shows on page 1 and the top of page 2
for procmailex and it will load the unwanted mail into the correct folder
but it just will not bounce the stupid thing back. I have tested it with my
two accounts which have procmail and I just cannot get it to work. I guess
/dev/null is better anyway. If they know that I am not receiving their
e-mail then they will just try a different way to get around it. If they
think I am getting it, they may be more content. But it bothers me that I
cannot get it to work on either system.

Thanks for your help. It is difficult not being a computer person trying to
figure out these man pages.

Stop Abuse By Spiritual Authorities
World Wide Support Network for Betrayal of Trust Survivors
http://www.eskimo.com/~tlotus
Generic Response to Flames/CyberSmear: http://www.eskimo.com/~tlotus/flame.html