Re: Help with Harassment

1996-07-12 12:03:01
On Fri, 12 Jul 1996, White Lotus wrote:

You wrote:

It people are forging email at you you should definitely take it up with
the system adminitrators of the site in question, or with their upstream
site if they are their own admins.  Harrassment is serious, and so is
forgery.

Oh, dear, you have no idea what I am up against. I have already complained
to postmasters above the Elision corp. (Compuserve) who did nothing. I
already called a lawyer, I already called the police. I already filed a FBI
report. The intention of these harassers is to get me off the Net and they
don't seem to have any regard for the law. I also find that the more energy
that I put into hiring lawyers, filing reports, etc. the more they are
successful in censoring me by harassment.
There are many of them and only one of me. So, I decided that Procmail was
the best way to go. Just put em in /dev/null and forget about them. However,
they now know that I have Procmail and will try to find a way around it. The
corporation which is harassing me is called Elision (you can do a Internic
whois), it is actually in the Internet business and we are looking into a
lawsuit against them. These people are the very lowest scum of what can be a
pretty scummy internet.

While I am at it, I thought I would mention that the forgeries are so bad
that they are forging my PGP signature by pasting the PGP ascii text and
using my sig! I did complain about that to the postmaster and I think
something was done about it but that is how bad it is. I believe they just
passed a law in Washington State that makes it illegal to forge a person's
electronic signature.

Would it be possible for you to have your user id changed? It'd be a pain in
the butt, but then if you were discrete with the "From:" line and with any
.signature files, maybe they won't be able to find you.

Or, if the system administrators of the source of the harassment aren't that
interested in fixing this problem, you could fight fire with fire, if you
choose. It would be a fairly simple matter to make procmail trap any message
from these persons, and automatically send it back to the sender, and to
root(_at_)that(_dot_)persons(_dot_)host and to
postmaster(_at_)that(_dot_)persons(_dot_)host, etc. You can also
do    finger @that.persons.host and get a bunch of email addresses for other
users on that system. Be sure to include a header explaining that you've done
all you can to get this harassment stopped, but their (the mail recipients that
are just plain old users at the harrasser's site) administrators have chosen
not to deal with this problem. And with one copy, why not send seven hundred
of them to each person. Or increase the number of copies by a factor of 2
each time.

I'd consider this to be a really low despicable action, but it sure looks like
you've tried everything else and extreme actions sometimes call for extreme
Russ Jones - Boeing Information Support Services - Wichita Kansas
tjj0039(_at_)unixmail(_dot_)ks(_dot_)boeing(_dot_)com - (316) 526-9364

Views and/or opinions expressed herein are those of the sender and should
not be construed to represent policies or positions of The Boeing Company.