Re: trying to preset Reply-To:

1997-07-30 13:01:00
Sean Straw wrote,

| The past three of my posts (plus now this message) have all contained the
| additional header.  Don't know why you're not seeing it.  Perhaps it is a
| non-standard mailer on your end? <grin>

Keep grinning; you've earned it.  While your face sports a big smile, mine is
beet red on this particular matter.

Because I belong to several paternalistically configured mailing lists that
clobber any original Reply-To: with one pointing to the list, I have a recipe
that removes "Reply-To: this list" for any mailing list deliveries.  That's
why I couldn't see it, yet I could see the ones Dan Smith and I pointed to
other addresses.  (I couldn't find it in my own [third] test either.)

I've fixed that recipe to limit it to lists that clobber Reply-To:.  Automati-
cally overriding a poster's chosen return address is just plain wrong whether
a list administrator or a list member does it.

Thanks for helping me figure it out, Sean.  OK, folks, I gladly retract all
I said about wondering if this list stripped out Reply-To:.

Thanks to Timothy Luoma as well for noting that his Reply-To: line came
through.

Point of information: on the list I run, I offer forced public Reply-To:
as an option, but I preserve any original Reply-To: as X-Author-Reply-To:
(unless it designates or includes the list, in which case I leave it alone).

As to Sean's other post, I'll reply separately, perhaps tomorrow, in full.
However, I'd like to address two points from there now:

First, yes, personal copies of list posts (or personally addressed originals
when the list gets a carbon) are often misdirected.  Say A posts and B re-
sponds to A with a carbon to the list and C now wants to speak; Sean men-
tioned the case where C's post is another answer for A that B doesn't need
and it should be sent, if anywhere besides the list, directly to A but not
directly to B.  There are other circumstances, though: if C is commenting on
something new that B brought up, there may be reason for a direct copy to B
but none for one to A.  However, if B's answer is wrong or suboptimal, and C
is correcting it, direct personal copies to both A and B might be in order.

Second,

| Look at the bright side - even with the no-cc request, my sig is still only
| a four-liner.  Do you really want me to make it a big disclaimer-style one?
| I'd rather not - but if it'd make you happy...

Big?  Well, let's consider your .sig as we've been seeing it:

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395

Now, I suggested that you change it to something like this:

 Replies are directed to the list.  Please do not carbon me personally.

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395

Sorry, Sean, but the way I see it, my recommendation has no more lines and
three characters *fewer* than what you're sending now.  I don't see how you
reached the conclusion that your having a "big" signature would make me
happier.  Further, it's hard to call me a proponent of big signatures when
mine is four lines shorter than yours.

At this point I agree fully with Michael Stone: if you want replies sent
to a particular place, it is your responsibility to set Reply-To:, not the
recipients' responsibility to heed admonitions in your text and retype reply
addresses to suit you.  (And if you did set Reply-To:, it is not my preroga-
tive to override it automatically as I have *very* improperly been doing.)
So if Sean or Eli or Wotan or anyone else wants only a public reply with no
personal copy and points Reply-To: to the list, fine.  (A short statement
calling readers' attention to that would be a nice touch.)  If someone posts
without a Reply-To:, then the respondent has to rely on his or her own judg-
ment and reasoning.