Re: Hrm... set reply-to to the list??? (was Re: A nice spam service)

1997-07-29 23:42:00
process(_at_)qz(_dot_)little-neck(_dot_)ny(_dot_)us (Eli the Bearded) writes:
lists(_at_)professional(_dot_)org (Professional Software Engineering - Lists
account)
wrote:
Philip Guenther wrote thusly:
Folks, if you don't want people to cc replies to your messages to you,
then stick a "Reply-To:" header in _your_ outgoing messages that points

Poor idea. It may stop some mailers from CCing on a reply-to-all function,
but it will not sot all. Further it will me it more difficult to reply
off the list to something. A message-ID duplicate killer is better.

Hmm, I think you're right: a message-ID dup killer is more reliable than
seetting Reply-To: for the elimination of duplicate replies.

Something like the "X-Curtesy-Copy: never" protocol discussed in some
newsgroups might be better. It could be used to trigger a formail
insertion of a Reply-To: header, which would make it instantly a lot
more functional than that header ever will be in news.

The news problem is complicated by the followup/reply division.  You can
say "Followup-To: poster" to have followups mailed to you, but you can't
have "Reply-To: newsgroup" to have replies sent to the group.

I never CC to the list. On a few rare occasions I have written seperate
send to one or the other. (In all honesty, I never even thought of using
a reply-to-all function. In seven years on-line, I have probably used that
less than a dozen times.)

Interesting.  I usually send to both the list and the questioner,
exempting replies that have strayed off-topic, that are very particular
to the problem in question, or where I'm only being tenative in my
thoughts, and not sending to whomever I'm replying to if they so
asked.  Otherwise, the reply is presumably on-topic, has a modicum of
interest to others, and I'm (over-)confident in it, so it hits the
list.  Off-list, in my work, I use the reply-all function exclusively,
hand-editing the recipients list afterwards in the relatively rare case
where reply-all is to general or someone else should be pulled in.

Hmm, for those people who put "Don't cc me: I'll get my copy from the list"
their .sig, does it work?  Or are people too lazy/clueless to do so?

Philip Guenther