Re: Hrm... set reply-to to the list??? (was Re: A nice spam service)

1997-07-29 23:17:00
lists(_at_)professional(_dot_)org writes:
At 06:37 PM 7/29/97 -0500, Philip Guenther wrote thusly:
Folks, if you don't want people to cc replies to your messages to you,
then stick a "Reply-To:" header in _your_ outgoing messages that points

Unfortunatley, as I recall, there is a problem with many mailers which will
cause their Reply-All to fetch the reply-to, cc, and original to: addresses
and use them all to reply to -- and if the reply-to happens to be the same
and the to: or cc: then there will be TWO copies of the same address in the
to: field.

If their Reply-All does that, then there's *NOTHING* anyone can do
about it except that user (or the author of said mailer).  Oh wait, we
could have Smartlist remove the From: header.  Since the only way the
list can support these broken mailer is to do something even more broken,
the list software should _ignore_ them.

So, I'll strive to use the reply-to tweak and see if that doesn't work here.

It worked with this reply, and I actually expected it not to (I've hacked
over my MH replcomp file a few times, and I had suspected that I broken
it's Reply-To handling.  I guess not).  Perhaps you could keep track of
how many extra-messages you receive that the Reply-To: should have
suppressed versus how many you post (or maybe how many followups to your
messages are posted)?

Philip Guenther