Re: SPAM on the procmail list

1997-08-13 20:13:00
On 11 Aug 1997, Matt Armstrong wrote:
I find it ironic and even funny that a mailing list that discusses
SPAM filtering rules almost every day still lets the stuff through.
Is there something that can be done at the list level to block this
stuff?  Or, should we all do our own thing to filter it?

I have two positions on this:

1. I use SmartList for my mailing lists, and pre-filter them using
Spambouncer.

2. Those messages that do get thru anyway, well, I advise my users to not
respond via email at all, then I proceed to bill the spammer $500 per
message/recipient. I also advise my list users to do the same. No threats,
don't get mad; get even! Then I advise the spammer that there's no need to
stop sending the "commercial documents" that he wants to store on my system,
I'll be quite happy with the income I'll collect from him for providing him
with a storage & forwarding service, one that he obviously asked for by
using my system. If he doesn't pay his bill, I call him. If he still refuses
to pay, then I turn it over to a collection agency. (If they insist on
storing commercial documents on my hard drive it costs me time and money,
and I'll bill them, it's that simple.)

Look here:

SNIP<<<<<<<
I found your website through a Yahoo search and thought our site might be
of interest to you.  1st Choice Vacation Properties http://www.choice1.com
MORE SNIP'D<<<<<<<

Ok, let's telnet to 198.41.0.5, and once we're connect wait for the server
prompt:

[snipped stuff]
[linux] InterNIC >

now we type the word whois;

[linux] InterNIC > whois
Connecting to the rs Database . . . . . .
Connected to the rs Database
InterNIC WHOIS Version: 1.2 Wed, 13 Aug 97 22:32:15
  Enter a handle, name, mailbox, or other field, optionally preceded
  by a keyword, like "host diis".  Type "?" for short, 2-page
  details, "HELP" for full documentation, or hit RETURN to exit.
---> Do ^E to show search progress, ^G to abort a search or output <---
Whois:

Now, taking "1st Choice Vacation Properties http://www.choice1.com"; we type
"choice1.com" at the whois prompt and get:

Whois: choice1.com
1st Choice Vacation Properties (CHOICE3-DOM)
   PO Box 3311
   Manhattan Beach, CA 90266

   Domain Name: CHOICE1.COM

   Administrative Contact:
      Lotz, Tracy  (TL440)  tramark(_at_)CHOICE1(_dot_)COM
      (310) 374-5321
   Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
      O'Connor, Michael  (MO42)  NOC(_at_)DELTA(_dot_)NET
      (714) 490-2000 (FAX) (714) 778-1064

   Record last updated on 23-Sep-96.
   Record created on 11-Feb-96.
   Database last updated on 13-Aug-97 04:24:52 EDT.

   Domain servers in listed order:

   NS1.DELTANET.COM             199.171.190.1
   NS0.DELTANET.COM             199.171.190.2

And we're ready to invoice them! Using the above info we send an invoice via
snail mail to:
        Tracy Lotz
        1st Choice Vacation Properties (CHOICE3-DOM)
        PO Box 3311
        Manhattan Beach, CA 90266
We also have their phone numbers: (310)374-5321, (714)490-2000 and thier fax
number: (714)778-1064. So if they don't pay their bill we can call *once* to
as what their intentions are. If they still don't pay we turn it over to a
collection agency on a contingency basis, and proceed to ruin their credit.

And collect payment.

Sincerely,
Tracy Lotz
1st Choice Vacation Properties

Don't get mad, get even. And keep it legal!
Russ.

For info about an easy autoresponder, how to stop spam relaying thru your
host, and whatever, send mail to: info(_at_)otp(_dot_)illuminet(_dot_)net
(updated: 7-24-97)
--
Windows95: win-doz-nin-te-fiv> n.
32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit