Re: Personal Replies

1997-10-24 10:50:55
When Rik Kabel wrote,

K> On this list especially, I shall continue to reply and copy -- because
K> some folks write for help but are not subscribers, and because users of
K> procmail can be expected to handle their own duplicates.

Timothy Luoma reacted with this interpretation of Rik's position:

L> ``It's easier for me to do what I want than what you want, so I'm going to
L> do what I want''

I disagree, Timothy.  If an author is adamant about wanting replies addressed
a certain way, then it is his/her responsibility to key Reply-To: according-
ly, not every respondent's job to do the extra work to make sure that the
reply conforms.  Even Sean Straw finally admitted that and now puts his pre-
ferred Reply-To: address on his submissions here.

So just as you rephrased Rik's position, I'm rephrasing yours: ``If I have
a personal preference, and it can be achieved either through my effort or
through yours, then you're the one who should do the extra work, not I.''

No one has a right to complain when responses to his/her posts are sent to
his/her own supplied return address.  When Reply-To: points back to the sub-
mitter or in the absence of Reply-To: the author's own From: line supplies
the return address, then that is the place to send responses, and if (1) the
respondent wishes to share with the list (after all, the original post was
shared with the list), (2) the response is suitable for the list, and (3) the
original submitter has not specifically said to keep replies private, then
the respondent has every right to carbon the list.

If the first submitter wants only public replies and no private ones, it is
his/her job to key Reply-To: to point to the list.  If (s)he did that and
stated so ["Replies are directed to the list."] in the first post, only then
is there cause for complaint about an additional direct copy.

Timothy commented further,

L> If someone asks not to receive personal copies, then you should not send
L> personal copies.  It's called ``being polite''.  ...  Is it so much to
L> ask?

If someone who does not want a personal copy says so and keys the Reply-To:
address as (s)he wants, then cooperating is polite and is not too much to
ask.

But if someone who does not want a personal copy refuses to do any of the
work to get his/her wishes carried out but makes you do it all [especially if
(s)he does not say so and expects you not only to do all the work but also to
read his/her mind], it's called being lazy and demanding, and it is out of
line.