Re: concurrent sendmails when forwarding

1998-08-16 15:19:43
On Sun, 16 Aug 1998, era eriksson wrote:

It would work on emptying the queue whenever the load average was low
enough, which would hopefully be most of the time as long as not too
many Sendmails are running (assuming you set the cutoff at a suitable
level). To me, this sounds like exactly the sort of solution you were
looking for.

After some testing, unfortunately no.
Even if I have all messages queued instead of being delivered, I have
still several sendmail processes running. Though all are just queuing it
is a bit faster, but the system load is still much too high.

All I need is stopping sendmail from forking itself. Sounds easy...
[Hhm. This may be a bit off-topic on this list.]

I'm not sure if we're speaking the same language. A typical problem is

Well, not yet but this will change, hopefully. ;-)

that a user sets up sue(_at_)home-computer, ed(_at_)home-computer,
joe(_at_)home-computer and then has home-computer set up to have the
upstream deliver all mail to this domain dropped in a single mailbox,
which gets downloaded to home-computer whenever it happens to connect
to the ISP. Something (like for instance Procmail or Fetchmail) on

So far so good. Just assume that the sue, ed and joe accounts are all
used by joe, .i.e. there are no real users sue or ed.

home-computer is then supposed to figure out which mail was sent to
sue, ed, or joe, typically from looking at the headers, and typically

True to some extend. *Which* headers are looked at?
For me, there
  * may be different From headers (my university accounts)
  * is definitely just one To header (my ISP mailbox:
haidinger(_at_)pgv(_dot_)at)
  * different subjects.

All I do is check if the mail came from one of my university accounts by
searching for my full name in the From header and if that succeeds,
distribute the message by looking at the subject which contains some
magic key.
I doubt this can be handled by multi-drop, can it?

Regards, Walter

--
Haidinger Walter <walter(_dot_)haidinger(_at_)gmx(_dot_)net>
Student of Electrical Engineering, University of Technology, Vienna, Austria