Re: Procmail futures

1999-01-10 01:38:38
On Sun, 10 Jan 1999, Bennett Todd wrote:
You're thinking about LMTP, RFC 2033:-).

Obviously. ;-) "All ideas which appear to have merit have been thought of
before, and you're doomed to reinvent them poorly." That's my new
corollary to Murphy's law. ;-)

Problem is, you're setting yourself up to have to deal with many,
perhaps most, of the security programs of an email system in that LDA.

That's a given. What you'd be constructing would essentially be a
heavyweight server process, not something light like Procmail.

What I'm envisioning here is actually not something you'd run from a
.forward/.qmail/.whatever at all. I'm thinking of a full-time "delivery
server", as it were, and hence the design changes completely. You have the
opportunity to do hefty up-front setup (including bootstrapping a language
interpreter, if desired), and can maintain a semblance of state between
deliveries.

[2] <URL:http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/lua/>

This website doesn't seem to work...do you have any other information
about this scripting engine?

I just tried it, just worked. Maybe a transient connectivity problem?

Must have been; I managed to grab a copy, and take a peek. Rather unusual
that they have as many file I/O primitives available as they do by
default, yet lack built-in directory management functions (all I want is
opendir, readdir, closedir, and rmdir ;-).

But, it's -definitely- lightweight, and seems to embed nicely. I like. :-)

--
Edward S. Marshall <emarshal(_at_)logic(_dot_)net>       [ What goes up, must
come down. ]

    Linux labyrinth 2.2.0-pre4 #1 Sun Jan 3 13:28:42 CST 1999 i586 unknown
       2:10am up 6 days, 10:51, 4 users, load average: 0.09, 0.27, 0.18