Re: Procmail futures

1999-01-09 19:14:21
1999-01-09-19:51:11 Edward S. Marshall:
On Sat, 9 Jan 1999, Bennett Todd wrote:
Remember the LDA is invoked for every delivery.

Why invoke a separate copy of a local delivery agent every single time you
want to deliver something (from a high-level perspective; forget
implementation details for now)?

You're thinking about LMTP, RFC 2033:-). Problem is, you're setting yourself
up to have to deal with many, perhaps most, of the security programs of an
email system in that LDA. I'd rather keep the LDA so small and fast that you
don't need to make it persistant, and I think I can. Also, if your LDA comes
out heavyweight, then you've got a much more complex picture for someone who
wants to set it up for their individual account out of .forward; you're
starting to look like mailagent[1], which I used to use --- it has a much more
agreeable syntax (to my tastes) than procmail. But it's a half-meg perl
script, so to keep it from being too ghastly to the system it's got a clever
queueing system of its own with a small, lightweight enqueuer and the big
horking heavyweight filing engine run as a dequeuer, rigged to allow it to
process any machines that come in for up to some configurable interval
(default 30 seconds I think) after the first message.

[2] <URL:http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/lua/>

This website doesn't seem to work...do you have any other information
about this scripting engine?

I just tried it, just worked. Maybe a transient connectivity problem? If you
still can't get it to work, there's a mirror at [2], just tried it too. And if
you have trouble getting that to work, I'll be happy to email you papers about
it, all the docs, the whole release, whatever you'd like.

-Bennett

[1]
<URL:http://perl.com/CPAN/authors/id/RAM/mailagent-3(_dot_)0(_at_)63(_dot_)tar(_dot_)gz>
 or