Re: no permission to execute

2001-12-04 21:35:16
Matt Eaton is getting procmail: No permission to execute
"/usr/lib/sendmail" and Error while writing to "/usr/lib/sendmail" with
a plain vanilla forwarding (using !) recipe. I asked about permissions
on the sendmail binary and he responded:

| These are the permissions of my sendmail executable
| -rwsr-xr-x   1 root       361600 Sep 29  2000 /usr/local/etc/sendmail
|
| I noticed that the sendmail configuration designates procmail as the MTA..
| could this be causing the errors i'm seeing?
|
| Mlocal,         P=/usr/local/bin/procmail, F=lsDFMAw5:/|@qSPfhn9,
|                 S=10/30, R=20/40,
|                 T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,
|                 A=procmail -Y -a $h -d $u
| Mprog,          P=/bin/sh, F=lsDFMoqeu9, S=10/30, R=20/40, D=$z:/,
|                 T=X-Unix,
|                 A=sh -c $u
|
| (my other recipes that copy to mbox'es work fine, but this 'fallback' rule
| isn't doing a very good job of forwarding as it should)

That looks ok to me, though I've never had to deal with that part of my
sendmail/procmail setup so others would be more qualified. The
permissions on the sendmail binary are fine. How about the directory
it's in?  Do you have sufficient directory permissions to execute the
program where it is?  Are you sure this is the sendmail that procmail
would be using?  That's a value that gets compiled in to procmail, so if
the one you're showing above isn't the one procmail's using then you'll
have to look at the correct one. (This can happen if sendmail gets
updated and installed to a different location.)  You can probably get
the location that procmail's expecting with something like:

strings `which procmail` |grep sendmail

The error while writing to /usr/lib/sendmail seems strange, but then
again your procmail version is pretty dated so I don't know if it means
anything. Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

--
Reply to list please, or append "6" to "procmail" in address if you must.
Spammers' unrelenting address harvesting forces me to this...reluctantly.